Offered by the Department of Materials and Mechanical Technology
This one-year diploma (SLQF 03) programme offered by the polymer processing technology focus area of the Department of Materials and Mechanical Technology, Faculty of Technology, University of Sri Jayewardenepura-Sri Lanka, is designed to introduce basics in polymer processing technologies and related high-tech polymer instrumental analysis. This is conducted in both theory and laboratory practical sessions. Theory modules are focused in providing fundamental knowledge in basic areas of polymer technology while laboratory sessions are primarily focused in providing a detailed understanding in polymer processing and property analysis using high-tech instrumentation. Candidates will gain a valuable hands-on experience on several high-tech polymer instrumentation that are of high importance in plastic, latex, dry-rubber, tyre and non-tyre products, and related other materials. This includes basic operational theory, data processing & analysis, and troubleshooting. Qualified candidates will be highly benefited by our well knowledgeable staff and the high-tech facilities offered at the center of excellence in polymer analysis. This diploma would be an ideal qualification for technical executives and managers working or intend to work in the polymer industry, the largest manufacturing sector in Sri Lanka.
Ideal for technical executives and managers working or intend to work in the polymer industry. This diploma is also suitable for those who have a basic Chemistry background and the desire seeking entry to a professional career in polymer industry.
03 Passes in G.C.E. A/L (SL) in one attempt in Physical/ Bio-Sciences/ Technology stream
03 Passes in one attempt including a minimum D grade for Chemistry in
Pearson Edexcel A/L or Cambridge International A/L
For Local Applicants;
Course fee of Rs: 125,000 can be paid in two installments;
First, Rs: 75,000 (60% of the total amount) at the registration and then the balance (Rs: 50,000) within 03 months of the commencement of the diploma.
- To provide fundamental knowledge in basic areas of polymer processing technology
- To provide hands-on experience on several high-tech polymer instrumental analyses using materials such as plastic, solid tyres, dry rubber, latex, and related products
- To provide managerial, leadership, and other transferable skills for career development
Curriculum in Brief
Theory (Total Credits 27)
Practicals (Total Credits 03)
Lectures (online) / Practicals
Saturdays 9 am – 4 pm
Sundays 9 am – 1 pm
End of semester I: written exam
All 14 theory modules will be evaluated during this exam which will be held at the end of the first semester. 70% of the marks in this written examination will be used for the final grade.
End of semester II: presentations
At the end of the second semester, students need to do a total of three presentations choosing one instrumental technique from each of the three practical modules offered during this semester. The total duration for each presentation will be 25 minutes which includes 15 minutes of presentation followed by 10 minutes of questions. 30% of the marks in this session will be used for the final grade.
The diploma in Polymer Processing Technology and Process Analysis is awarded to candidates who obtain a minimum GPA of 2.0.
A candidate who fails to satisfy above examination criteria will be permitted to sit such papers only once at the next available occasion in order to obtain a minimum GPA of 2.0 to satisfy the requirements of the Diploma. The highest grade given to a repeat candidate is C+.
Application Closing Date: 30th June 2022
- Click on the link under the “Apply Now’’ section below.
- Login with your email and & password in your Google account.
- Fill in the required details under the following main sections;
- Personal Details
- Academic Qualifications
- English Language Proficiency
- Employment History
Under ‘Attachments’, you need to upload scanned copies of the following documents:
- Passport size colour photograph – .jpg or .png file
- Birth Certificate – .pdf file
- Results sheet (.pdf file) of G.C.E. A/L (SL)
Pearson Edexcel A/L
Cambridge International A/L
- Any academic certificates (i.e., first degree, transcript) – .pdf files
- English language proficiency certificates (if any) – .pdf files
- Professional certificates (if any) – .pdf files
- *Online payment receipt or bank payment receipt – .pdf file
*You can pay the application fee of Rs: 1,500/- online or by visiting to a People’s bank physically, using the following account details:
- Account Holder: University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- Account Number: 097100162315454
- Bank and Branch: People’s Bank, Gangodawila Branch
- Make sure to read the last section ‘’Remarks’’ in the online application before submission.
- Once submitted, each applicant receives a copy of the filled application to his/her email address used. Please print this filled application and send it along with the certified documents (mentioned under ‘Attachments’) through registered post to Deputy Registrar, Faculty of Technology, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Mahenawatta, Pitipana, Homagama.
Write ‘’Diploma in Polymer Processing Technology and Process Analysis- 2022’’ on the top left-hand corner of the envelope.
For further details, please contact;
Dr. Gayan Siriwardana
Diploma in Polymer Processing Technology and Process Analysis
Department of Materials and Mechanical Technology
Faculty of Technology
University of Sri Jayewardenepura
Phone (mobile): (+94)70 3766830